This edition of WIOG Weekly Roundup features wines we tried on the Leelanau Peninsula and in Traverse City over Labor Day. As we often stress, we're not wine experts, but we do taste a lot of Michigan wine. (You may have noticed.) WIOG is our attempt to give you an idea of some selections that you may be interested in checking out based on what we've been tasting. Cheers!
- Left Foot Charley 2011 Blaufrankisch: "Licorice, big spice, blackberry, strong tannins. A real winner!" — Shannon
- Left Foot Charley 2011 Dry Riesling: "Fruity, good balance, mango and lemon, a little acid kick." — Shannon
- Left Foot Charley 2011 Pinot Gris: "Oak-arific, lime and peach, vanilla, very rich and full bodied." — Shannon
- Chateau de Leelanau 2010 Cabernet Franc: "Tons of fruit, super ripe cherries explode on your mouth, touch of oakiness, coffee and mocha, layers of different flavors!" — Shannon
- Chateau Fontaine 2011 Laughing Waters Rosé: "100 percent Pinot Noir. Big spice, strawberries, bold and fruit forward." — Shannon
- Chateau Fontaine Big Paw Red: "Cherry, blueberry, semi-sweet, good transition red for white wine drinker." — Shannon
- Chateau Fontaine 2010 Pinot Noir: "Spice, earthiness, leather, delicate red fruit, medium body." — Shannon
- Chateau Fontaine 2010 Woodland Red: "Blend of Cab Sauvignon, Cab Franc, Merlot, and Syrah. Blackberry, pepperoni, leather, black pepper." — Shannon
- Chateau Fontaine 2010 Semi-Sweet White Riesling: "Ripe red apple, tart and balanced, peach." — Shannon
- Chateau Fontaine 2011 Gewürztraminer: "Classic Gewürztraminer, grapefruit, floral, spice." — Shanno
- Chateau Fontaine 2011 Dry Riesling: "Green apple, crisp and refreshing, not sweet, but very fruity." — Shannon
- Chateau Fontaine 2011 Pinot Gris: Full bodies, rich, vanilla, floral, spice." — Shannon
- Chateau Fontaine 2011 Chardonnay: "Spice, citrus, grapefruit, very clean." — Shannon
Got your own tasting notes? Come join the discussion on our Facebook page!