This edition of WIOG Weekly Roundup features some Michigan wines we tried over Labor Day while visiting the Leelanau Peninsula. As we often stress, we're not wine experts, but we do taste a lot of Michigan wine. (You may have noticed.) WIOG is our attempt to give you an idea of some selections that you may be interested in checking out based on what we've been tasting. Cheers!
- Forty-Five North 2011 45 Red: "Raspberry, cherry cola, with subtle hints of leather. Very enjoyable dry red." — Shannon
- Forty-Five North 2010 Select Harvest Riesling: "Tropical fruit explosion, mango, pineapple, with a bit of honey to round it out." — Shannon
- Forty-Five North 2011 45 White: "Big aromatics, acid makes it pop, lots of citrus and grapefruit." — Shannon
- Forty-Five North 2010 Gewürztraminer: "Grapefruit, cloves, very spicy, with a long finish." — Shannon
- Forty-Five North 2010 Riesling: "Melon, pear, clean finish." — Shannon
- Forty-Five North 2011 Unwooded Chardonnay: "Peach, lemon/lime, very fruit forward, crisp." — Shannon
- Forty-Five North 2011 Pinot Grigio: "Pear, lemon, tangy goodness, with a little minerality on the end. The highlight of the whites for me." — Shannon
- Leelanau Cellars White Port: "100 percent Riesling, very interesting; it's like a glass of liquid Bananas Foster!" — Shannon
- Leelanau Cellars 2011 Baco Rosé: "Strawberry, cherry, spice, quick burst of fruit on the front." — Shannon
- Leelanau Cellars 2009 Reserve Chardonnay: "Oaky, creamy, allspice, layered flavors, creme brulée. This was the highlight of the wines I tasted at Leelanau Cellars. I really hope it ages as well as it is showing right now." — Shannon
- Leelanau Cellars 2008 Leelanau Chardonnay: "Creamy, vanilla, little bit of oak, everything is highlighted on the front." — Shannon
- Leelanau Cellars 2011 Pinot Grigio: "Ripe grapefruit, very crisp and refreshing, tangy, great for a summer day." — Shannon
- Leelanau Cellars 2010 Dry Riesling: "Citrus, peaches, big fruit on the front." — Shannon
Got your own tasting notes? Come join the discussion on our Facebook page!